Saturday, November 10, 2012

Dr. Jordans Response

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Huguley, I am not familiar with Dr. Brown's (your chiopractor's) device. I did google "manual traction apparatus." I see that it is primarily used to treat low back pain and probably works by decreasing pressure on lumbar disks in the spine (outside the spinal fluid, acting on vertebrae and disks between vertebrae). I see no reports of it being used to "break up scar tissue and release dural adhesions" so am just not sure how to advise. I will say that the reason that neurosurgeon's haven't wanted to try to surgically release dural adhesions and scar tissues is that they are afraid of scar tissue reforming and possibly of causing bleeding. That said, this sort of manual traction certainly seems more gentle than surgery and I appreciate your concerns for the future. I would think that if you did manual traction and Zachary had bleeding and inflammation, that his pain would worsen. So, if you decide to try it, I would watch for an increase in pain. I freely admit that Dr. Brown has different expertise than I do. He seems to have done a good job for Zachary where other therapies have failed. It's just tough for me to advise you well, with something so out of my area. Chiopractors are typically very good at improving mobility, and I agree with the thought that "tethering" of his spinal cord by adhesions could be the cause of immobility. I am glad that you contacted me. I have thought of Zachary a number of times recently and wondered how he was doing. Please keep me in the loop. Best wishes. Lori Jordan
I'm waiting on a reply from Dr. Levy as well, remember he is the one who runs the Superficial Siderosis Specialty Clinic at John's Hopkins?

No comments:

Post a Comment