Monday, January 9, 2012

Starting the Day with a Headache

Zachary woke up with a headache this morning, I gave him a regular strength Tylenol and encouraged him to drink some water, hopefully he will make it through the day.


Update on Z ....
Zachary stayed the night at his best friends house Friday night, he has been wanting to go over there and spend time with his friend since the beginning of Christmas vacation. He was so excited! At about 11:45p.m Zachary requested to have some of his pain cream rubbed on his legs, he laid on the floor on his side with his knees bent and his TENS on. He had a total of two Benadryl, an ice pack on his legs by his request and he finally settled in ... at about 12:30 or so.

Zachary realized today the reason for his pain last night ... he remembered that he played dodgeball at school during his P.E. class. Today we went out to the mall for a few items and Z tapped me on my arm and said that he was starting to feel pain again so I opted to pick him up and carry him as opposed to making him walk. For some reason walking can cause the pain to increase. When we arrived at home his pain was pretty bad so I gave him two benadryl, and his dad put his TENS unit on. He was still in pain even after the 2 benadryl, when we got to the place where we would get our photos taken Z's pain increased dramatically, he was tensing up (this is to include his hands and feet) and screaming, I gave him another benadryl in hopes that it would slow the pain down, but unfortunately it didn't touch the pain at all. So, no family portraits for us. Instead we went over to our friends house who lives fairly close, I ran Zachary in, laid him on the floor where he could position himself comfortably and I pulled out his pain cream and started to massage his leg, after a good while he said that it was getting a little bit better, then after a while longer he said that it was getting bad again. I just wanted to get him home where he could be comfortable, when I lifted him to an almost sitting position the pain got intense again. We loaded him into the back seat, let him lay down, as that seems to be a more comfortable position for him, and then the pain was getting to where he was moaning (after moaning comes the screaming). When we got home I ran him upstairs, and while I was carrying him the screaming kicked in. He was screaming for about half an hour to an hour, then the moaning came back again. I asked him how he was and he said he felt like he needed to throw up, that his eyes were hurting and that the light made them hurt more and his legs were still tensing up.The moaning lasted almost three hours .... after that I decided that was enough and gave him a tablespoon of NyQuil. He fell asleep about 15min later and is finally resting now.
I don't know what to do, I know the doctors are trying to find ways to help Zachary, but they just don't seem to be working fast enough. No child should have to suffer this kind of pain for this amount of time. My hope is that they will be able to find some kind of pain medication that will work when he has episodes like this one. The benedryl seems to work okay for the little starting pain and usually keeps the harsh pain at bay, but the intense pain? It doesn't seem to touch that pain at all. :( I hate it when it gets to where I have no more options to help stop the pain, it's very frustrating, because all a mom wants is for her child is to be happy and healthy. This pain is terrible and is now, officially the enemy!! I don't want this enemy around my son anymore! He's had enough of this torture!!

No comments:

Post a Comment