Thursday, February 16, 2012

De Ja Vu

Shortly after Zachary got home from school we headed out to his appointment with Dr. Brown. He did great! He did all of his warm up exercises and even did all the adjustments without fussing. So his Skylander? He got it back! Who says bribery doesn't work out in the end? Worked pretty well for us, I think. :) As soon as we pulled into our driveway and before even setting foot on solid ground Zachary complained that his leg was hurting and on the scale it was already at a 6. I called the Doctor's office and let them know what was going on and how I was a little worried about the weekend with Dr. Brown being out of town and all and they said we could come back in. Argh! Another trip to town, that's a 35 - 45 minute drive one way, but you know what? If a mother knows that something is working to stop the excruciating pain that is bound to peek around and into the open door, she does whatever it takes to close that door of pain. When we got back to the office, Zachary's pain had gone down to a 4, but I noticed that when he walked it was more of a stagger and he was swaying a bit. Dr. Brown was teaching a class and took a break to adjust Z. It worked!! Or so we thought ... Zachary went down as low as a 2, so Dr. Brown went back to the class he was teaching. I decided we would make sure Z was good to go before leaving and thank goodness I did. His pain jumped to a 10 and it did it pretty fast. We moved into one of the other rooms as Zachary was crying and interrupting the class, well we weren't told that but that's what I figured, lol. Totally understandable. :) Some coconut oil was brought to us and I rubbed Z's back as the pain rose. I wished I had known all this time that rubbing his back was better than rubbing his leg, it makes the intense pain go away much faster. Zachary's "spasms" last about 5 minutes and then he has 3 minutes or so to catch his breathe before they come on again. I can reduce the length of the spasm but I can't stop it. Oh how I wished I could. After about 45 minutes or so Z was ready to go but not without that"bear hug" from Dr. Brown, not sure what the professional term is for that but it's what Z calls it. We left the office at a zero and when we got home he was back to a 4, it went as high as a 6 and shortly after the spasms stopped Z went to sleep.

Here's hoping for a pain free weekend!!

So? This is my interpretation of what's happening .... Zachary's body gets adjusted and then his nerves or muscles, well one of those things start to spasm as to say this isn't where we belong these things have been misplaced and when the adjustment is done they are put back where they belong they don't like it so they fight it. I'm not sure if this is actually what's going on but it is what seems to be going on. I do know that some of Zachary's nerves are "tethered" to the bottom of his spinal cord, whether or not they will stay that way or loosen up? We really don't know. Our desire for our son, is for him to be pain free and this route seems to be getting him more almost pain free days than anything else we've tried plus there are no prescription drugs necessary which makes us very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment